Sunday, April 30, 2006

Learning business

Well friends I have been busy taking some steps to start a successful business. I contacted my local SBA - Small Business Administration - and in turn got hooked up with the SCORE group. This is a group of mostly retired business people who volunteer their time helping aspiring young entrepreneurs get started. From my rep I got several eye-opening pointers that caused me to slow down and make some correct moves instead of rushing in and possibly getting myself into some trouble.

I have several reading assignments. One of which is The E-Myth Revisited. If any of you are thinking of starting a small business or have just started one, this is a good read. I'm about halfway through it.

The big step I have taken is to sign up for a workshop via the SBA which is all about starting a small business. This looks to be very educational. I'm planning on starting an LLC and getting all of my permits straight through the state so I'll be legal to sell a food based product... Yes, real fun stuff (sarcasm). I'd rather be hiking or fishing but I really think this product has potential so I want to do it right.

Ok, enough boring stuff. I promise to post pics of me garlic next time. Its looking good and healthy.

Take care,
Mark

3 Comments:

At 8:55 AM, Blogger Backyard Chef said...

Sounds like you are being really smart and careful. I just met with someone in the food industry here and as soon as I could after that, I called the local health department and started asking all kinds of questions to make sure everything is square. It's great to read about your experience-- but I can't wait to see the garlic!

 
At 9:04 AM, Blogger Mark said...

Chef, sorry for the tease. I'm in need of buying myself a new digital camera. We have an old 2.1 megapix Casio, and its okay, but its time to upgrade. I'll get some pics of the garlic posted ASAP.

I was actually taking classes in E-Bussiness / E-Commerce but I took a break because my wife is working on her Masters. We just couldnt function as a family with both of us tied up in college coarses. This is really a learning experience.

 
At 4:20 PM, Blogger Backyard Chef said...

I hear you. My wife is in school right now and working evenings and weekends, and there's no way we could both be doing that at the same time. It would be nice to see her once in a while....sigh.

Garlic is good!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home